Sunday, March 30, 2008

Miley Cyrus:Role model or Disciple of God?!

Over the weekend, Nickelodeon hosted it's 21st annual Kids' Choice Awards.
With no surprise, Miley Cyrus was the big winner taking honours for favorite female singer and television actress.

Now, I'll admit, I'd watched "Hannah Montana" with my kids on a few occasions and yes this girl does indeed have talent.
A decent actress and possessing a great singing voice for someone her age, she had recently been quoted as saying she was "a good role model for kids".
I'd agreed, up until I heard she was quoted during her acceptance speech as thanking "my lord and savior Jesus Christ".

If you want to be a good role model, people should remember you for your actions, and not so much your words.
However, by using this quote in front of millions of impressionable children, it's nothing more than a form of pushing your ideals on others. And isn't that what religion has mostly been doing for thousands of years?

Now, I don't want to get off on a rant here (thank you Dennis Miller), but religion is nothing more than a bunch of stories that people take to heart. Which to a certain extent is ok I suppose.
If you want to believe that a woman got pregnant with out any physical help from a man, fine.
If you want to believe that a man once parted a sea hundreds of miles long and hundreds of feet deep, so be it.
But if you want to tell me that yours is the only religion to follow and if I don't I'll spend the rest of my afterlife in a purgatory of unimaginable horrors, well then we have a problem.

Now, before you go off saying "I bet he's never set FOOT in a Church or even know what 'we're' all about", hold on there Skippy. Let me 'enlighten' ya.

My Father is Lutheran and my Mother, Presbyterian.
Growing up, they never really pushed either religion on me, but let me choose my own path. As a child, when visiting my Grandparents, we'd attend mass.
Later in life, I'd have the occasion I'd go to a Catholic service now and then.
But when I was in High School, I'd experience my first negative experience dealing with "The Church". (and no:it had nothing to do with an alter boy and a priest).

I was seeing this girl (uh oh......here it comes), and she talked me into visiting her church with her.
I forget the denomination, but that doesn't really matter.
A short time passed and her mother found out I was attending "her Church".
Well now, this didn't set well with the "woman from the old country" and during one service she sat behind me and harassed me threatening to "call the police and have me removed".
She did this quietly enough, but after the service ended, the pastor approached me and asked what had transpired.
After telling him, he asked me to join him, and one of the "Elders". (yea.....this is getting good).

So there the three of us sat. In the office of the pastor in a triangle formation.
I don't exactly remember how it came to be, but there I was beginning to have a makeshift "confessional" whereas I was asking forgiveness for creating turmoil in this girls' mothers life!

Ok, say it with me now:WHAT THE HOLY HELL FUCK??!!

The next time I actually set foot in a Church was several years later when my now ex-brother in-law had his son baptized.

This, I believe, was a Catholic Church.

The part that stands out for me most is the way the congregation 'acted'.
It was a large, modern church. You know, the kind you see on television with the televangelist speaking his rederict on "stage" and all the sheep in the crowd lapping it all up.

Anyway, I guess there's part of "Catholic rederict" where the Father/Pastor/Preacher (whatever) recites scripture and the congregation answers with remembered text. In a way, it's kind of neat getting everyone to remember the same dialog time and time again.
The part that KILLS me is how they speak.
NOT with heartfelt emotion.
NOT with any passion in what they are saying.
But in comparison, anyone ever seen Star Trek:The Next Generation?
More specifically, anyone familiar with "The Borg"?

These people respond to the "Leader" in a monotone, unwavering single voice!
There is no distinction of singularity. No individuals.
You'd think if these people believed what they were saying, I mean, really BELIEVED what they were saying, they'd put forth some sort of effort into it!

I guess my point is this: while people of prominence can be considered a role model, take care in listening to what they actually say.

Ok, so that's not really my point.
Maybe I have no point other than another opportunity to rip up on the Catholic Church.

But good golly miss miley:be a role model, but watch what you say!

3 comments:

OzzyC said...

I don't see Miley's comment as "pushing her religion." I see this as her acknowledging the grace that she believes she's been given by God. She didn't say "I'd like to thank God, and if you want to see me perform a few concerts in heaven, instead of burning in hell forever, you'll thank Him too."

On the other side of the coin, it sounds like your first experience really sucked. What kind of church thinks of itself as a country club, where you have to be born into it!?!

And yes, I get the whole sheep thing from your second experience. I tend to feel the same way when I witness that stuff. In fact, such chants are scientifically shown to induce a trance-like state, which makes you susceptible to suggestions, further reinforcing the zombie-like adherence to doctrine.

My God doesn't require such non-questioning adherence to religious dogma and actually encourages critical thinking.

Either way though, you're a heathen. ;)

rayray said...

just call me "Hellboy".......

Anonymous said...

Hellboy is my hero!