Thursday, April 02, 2009

Updates, stuff, and a bombshell

As reported a few months ago, there was a possibility that my ex-wife and husband would be losing their home.
As of today, it seems that with the help of President Obama's influence of money loaners being more helpful to those that wish to stay in their homes rather than lose them to a Sheriff's auction, will do so.
Thus, they now have until mid August to get the home refinanced.

In other personal news, my older son has turned 14 and is ready for his learners permit! (silent shrill begins).
This weekend, I'll take him out in the car and put him behind the wheel for a little practice.
I HOPE that with all of his video game expertise, his hand-eye coordination will be a great asset.

My mom's Explorer got repaired, and not only does it look and drive like new, but out body man was able to get the total several hundred dollars UNDER what they received from the insurance company.
Ford parts were used, and parts that could be repaired were.
It helps that we've known this 'wonder of body work' since the 70's and has always worked with us on the repairs we've needed.
SHOUT-OUT BART!

Now, onto the bombshell. (stop salivating)

Two days ago, after months, nay years of inner debate, talking w/friends, and actually finding her, I contacted my now 19 year old daughter I'd signed off parental rights some 14 years ago.

Having a Facebook profile myself, on a whim I typed in her name and up came a list of possibilities, there was a pic of a young woman that resembled what I'd known her mother to look like.

I prepared a letter/message/note informing her of who I was, where I lived (in case she thought this could be some perv, she could actually verify my identity), and if she had ever had an interest in getting to know her birth father, my door was open.
I sent it off not expecting any type of response, but to my surprise the next day she'd added me as a 'friend' to her profile.

You can't even imagine how I felt, continue to feel. However, I've not re-contacted her and will not. Her first step was opening up her profile to my viewing, and also gaining access to mine. She has not written yet, but until she does, my initial message is all I will have offered.

I realized being contacted by her biological father would be a lot to process, but did now expect for her to 'open up' as quickly as she did.

The next few hours, days, months, or even years have no hints as to what to expect, but if this is all that happens, it would be enough having been given a glimpse into her life.

7 comments:

Evan 08 said...

"... I've not re-contacted her, and will not..."

Is there some sort of specific action you expect before you make any further attempts at contact? Does she know what these expectations are?

rayray said...

what i meant to portray was that initially, i'd written and told her that if she did not respond, i would take that as she did not wish to communicate.

but while she opened her profile to me, i do not take that as an offer to write to her again.
so i will wait to see if she does write anything and THEN will respond.

Anonymous said...

I would consider opening her profile as communication... you might want to as well.
I am not saying heart to heart emails but a contact to say "thanks for this look at your life.. please check out my page" would be in order.

congrats on finding her, opening up to her and cool news about the car for your folks!

it is Ray's day!
A. Reid

Evan 08 said...

I think Anonymous has a good idea... that way you're acknowledging her gesture, continuing the flow of communication (but still keeping it relatively light) and not coming across as pushy.

rayray said...

ok, so, who knew these updates would come through so quickly!

a.= when adding someone as a friend, upon verification, your profile becomes viewable as well.
so, when i accepted her add, my profile did indeed "open up" to her, just as hers did to mine.

so, today i actually received an email FROM her.

in it, she stated that she was NOT angry for my decision, and posed a few 'general' questions my way.
(do i get my love of art from you? how about sports?).

i wrote back, answering her questions and posed my own (by her suggestion if I wanted to know anything about her).

one could say that this is the beginning of a reconnection for both of us: a chance for both to add to our family.

one note i want to mention:obviously her mother and dad have raised a well rounded young lady that has nothing but love in her heart.

Evan 08 said...

I don't think things could go any better. It sounds like you're both open open to any and all possibilities.

Did you ask her any questions in return?

Sunny said...

Oh Rayray!!! That is so awesome!!! Best of luck to you guys for reconnection.