Monday, January 25, 2010

i'd LOVE to hear President Obama's thoughts on this......

so, there's a statement circulating on Facebook about the situation in Haiti.
it goes as follows:
"JUST FOR AMERICA: Shame on you America: the only country where we have homeless without shelter, children going to bed without eating, elderly going without needed meds, and mentally ill without treatment - yet we have a benefit for the people of Haiti on 12 TV stations. 99% of people won't have the guts to copy and repost this"

I'm going to have to agree.
Too long has the U.S. come to the aid of others all the while overlooking the plights on our own soil.

Now, I understand the reasoning behind some of our assistance;usually we have some sort of stake in the country we are assisting. But Haiti? What does this country offer but voodoo dolls and easily adoptive babies? (yea, I'll probably go to Hell for that, but freedom of speech baby!).

The U.S. has joblessness, homelessness, schools closing, lack of funding, education problems, single dad's being f*cked over (yea, that one was for me), and what does the Government do to adress ANY of those issues?

Do we have six different broadcasting networks holding benefits to raise money to solve ANY of this?

I'm hoping that by putting the presidents' name in the title of my blog, some watchdog somewhere will pick this up and at LEAST offer up some sort of explanation as to why we help everyone else BUT our own.

1 comment:

Evan 08 said...

The wife and I were talking about this the other night too, and I said effectively the same thing.

It's noble to want to help people in this situation, but I would prefer that we take care of our own back yard first. Furthermore, the BEST that we can hope for is that the Hatians' suffering will return to pre-quake levels. I'm not exactly sure that's helping anyone in the long run.