Friday, October 13, 2006

Brass, woods and percussion!

Tonight was the older boys' first school concert since switching to percussion.
I've been helping him a long to kind of catch up with the other drummers, and he's come along quite nicely if I do say so myself. (being a musician has it's advantages when it comes to your kids being in band!).

I decided to sit on the floor (in a chair silly), as opposed to having sat in the bleachers in the past. And let me tell you, it's like a whole new world sitting that close.

As stated before, I am a musician. I've been involved in playing instruments since grade school, so I know a thing or three when it comes to tempos, sounds, and notes (right and wrong). But, I sit listening as a parent, and not someone who is critiquing anything.

Before, I'd watch the first year band students with enthusism and slight jochularity as I'd watch them 'try' to keep tempo by tapping their foot. At the risk of sounding harsh, it looked like they were all trying to kill something that was running around their music stands.
BUT, this is the first year they are put together as an actual group and directed to play the same piece of music.

This year was no exception. However, sitting on the same level as the band, and a mere 30 feet from them, allows one to actually hear the chaotic stompings of twenty-five or so first year band students.

Being my boys' second year band/first year percussion, lent itself to a new type of experience.

While I was excited to hear how this group had grown since last year, I was equally excited to see how the boy would handle his new 'position'.

For the first movement, he played the bells, or xylophone.
Overall, he didn't do too bad. He could have been a bit more agressive, but standing next to a girl who's almost a foot and a half taller, while being in the same grade, could have had something to do with that.
But I'm getting off track here. Or am I?

Basically, I'm glad half of my children have taken to playing in the band (although, I'd prefer them to try the orchestra like their dad did. But this town has no string program.), and I see the other half getting his recorder so there's hope yet.

I look forward to more concerts.

1 comment:

Sunny said...

Hey Ray-Ray!!
Are you still Blogging doll?
Post again already!!!

;-)