Wednesday, July 25, 2007

What I did on my summer vacation..........

This is the second time in something like 15 years that I've taken a "real vacation".
Two years ago, and again this year I went to my uncle's home with my boys and mom,
(Dad couldn't coordinate his days off with mine, but we're hoping for next year!).

Again this year, my aunt and uncle along with their son (my cousin) were able to come up from Texas. This year though, Blair had a traveling companion of his own:his fiancée. (she really is a terrific gal. he's one lucky guy!)

It was great seeing family again, after a long hiatus.
Another reason we were going down was to bring back a riding lawn tractor my uncle was giving to my mom.

The trip down wasn't too bad, as it's only about a four-and-a-half drive, and there's ALWAYS something interesting to see.

I've enjoyed going to my uncle's, as it's out in the country, but doesn't feel like it's in the country.
Sure, he's got his own fishing pond, and a butt-load of acres, but this is no farm house.
He's worked long and hard to accomplish what he has, and I'm proud to have him as my "wealthy uncle".

The best part of the trip is just seeing everyone again.
Until two years ago, I hadn't seen my Texan relatives in about 18 years, and only a few years less for my Missouri clan.
To see how my cousins have grown is just mind blowing, (my uncle's wife pointed out one evening after dinner, that I held the distinction of being the "eldest cousin". I'm not sure how I feel about that!).

And now that the youngest of all of the cousins is getting married, it just seems like yesterday I saw this little bugger in diapers. Well, in actuality, the last time I'd seen him he was in them.

I look forward to the future, being able to reconnect to family, and watching the family grow.

1 comment:

Sunny said...

I love reunions....My fav cousins are always there- a few different ones at a time- every year- and we have such busy lives and live so far away from each other that it's the only time we get to see each other. I have a LARGE family on my moms side(last count I had over 160 first and second cousins and that was about 15 years ago-Grandma and Papa had 18 kids and the kids all had a big family too)
It's funny to see how everyone turned out and I LOVE spending time with them all......Well, most of them anyway.
;-)