Monday, September 05, 2005

getting older

This year, I turn 37. My children are 8 and 10.
I still consider myself fairly young. But when it comes to physical activity, that's when I begin to feel my age.

A few months ago, my parents gave the boys a pair of tennis rackets and tennis balls to whack back and forth in their back yard. They have a rather large back yard, so neighbors don't need to cringe whenever they go back there.

It was something to pass the time when we'd visit them, and the boys soon formulated a "who-can-hit-the-ball-further" competition. It was like they were practicing for baseball.

I decided to take them to an actual tennis court and show them (kinda) how to play.

It's been years since I've played myself, and I also used to play racketball back in the day.
So I kind of knew what I was doing. Besides, they'd seen tennis being played on tv so how hard could this be?

My older boy didn't do too bad. I could get a few volley's out of him before he'd belt one out of the park. This created this "you hit it....you get it" rule.
My younger one was another story.
Luckily, or not, there are four courts side-by-side which my younger one got the ball to..........every time...................

Now, being 37 and not in the best shape, (wha?? a pear's not a shape??), I didn't really fell like chasing every ball he hit and fortunately we were alone so I didn't find myself yelling "INCOMING".

We've been playing a lot..........and that's where I start feeling my age.
I can begin to see where the term tennis-elbow comes from because as I type this I now have no feeling in mine.

I am fortunate to have understanding children in that all I have to do is say "Dad's elbow is starting to hurt" and they are ok with being done.

I'm guessing they are just happy to go out and do stuff with Dad.
And so am I.

3 comments:

Presley Bennett said...

They're probably at the point where they've figured out that Dad isn't Superman.

rayray said...

Superman no.................but Batman........that's another story!

OzzyC said...

What a drag it is getting old...

-Rolling Stones