Thursday, January 26, 2006

It helps when you love what you're doing

A recent surf session on the net prompted me to rave about my job.
You see, I saw one of the windows I made several years ago installed in the Hotel it was made for.



The round window pictured above, is one of ten that was built by yours truly about four years ago. It was installed in the then being built Mandarin Oriental Hotel in our Nations capital, Washington, DC.

They measure six feet in diameter and weigh about seventy pounds each. They were, to say the least, a bitch to construct.
But the end result, as you can see, is well worth the stress.

I really enjoy making custom shaped windows.
Whether it be a simple octagon, or complicated double radius, I liken my work to that done by the guys at OCC, in that I get to make something custom, and out of the ordinary, all by hand from start to finish. Incidentally, I made a sign for my area "borrowing" those initials which I made to stand for "Osage Custom Creations". Thus far, management has seen into my 'personalization' of my department and not made me remove it. Thanx guys.

There are times when I regret not having gone to college to gain a career. A lot of times. But in having been doing what I'm doing for so long now, and seeing the fruits of my labor in such places as featured online, it makes me feel not too bad about being just "a grunt" making a paltry living.

I love my job

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Since what feels like 80% of our lives are spent at our jobs.. ..

loving what you do is way more important than what you make or if it is impressive to others.

Way to go choosing a career that you can be proud of at the end of each day!