Thursday, May 18, 2006

Gloom, despair, and agony on.........................

Not me!

After going on ten years, the company I work for is rearranging the internal infrastructure (the CEO's wording, not mine), and I've been asked to take on a product coordination position. It will mean even more responsibility and a higher pay rate.

Hooray.

My posting is not for congratulatory comments from my fan (lol), but to speak on the narrow mindedness I have to deal with in my co-workers.

About two weeks ago, the CEO approached me on the shop floor with his thinking I would be an asset in the newly created position. He told me a bit of what it would entail, and asked me to think about it for the next week or so, and then we could meet again and talk further. (cue leering looks from co-workers as if to say "I wonder what's going on with Raymond")

The following week, the CEO asked to meet with me in the office, where we spent about fifteen minutes talking more about the new direction he was wanting to take management. (cue more judging eyes)

I'd said I'd thought about it and it seemed a viable idea and may be willing to undertake such a daunting and daring task. (He's kinda laid back, and I can speak with him in this manner)

This was on a Thursday. By the next morning, rumours began to circulate that I was the new Supervisor. The thing that pisses me off is not that people jumped to their own conclusions about my meeting with the bigwig himself, but that now, the people I'd worked along side of for many years, joked with, been out to drinks with and other small gatherings, were now not speaking to me. On top of that, there was a certain silent belligerence whenever I was in the area. wtf.
Only a couple of people actually had the tenacity to approach me with the rumour, asking if it was true or not (not that I'd tell them as ours was a confidential meeting), and the two people that I am closest with still, were privy to comments like "well, HE doesn't know everything" and "no matter WHO had that position, we aren't going to work with them".
I'm not a hard guy to get along with, really. T

The fact that a large percentage of the workforce happens to be older females fuels the setup for having a lot of gossip occurring on the shop floor. It's a wonder we get anything done at all!
I mean, if they aren't surmising how much someone makes compared to them, they're attacking the work ethics of another.
I say, you'd better look in the mirror before you point your finger at someone else.

Over the weekend, I thought about what had transpired by the resulting treatment and comments/sudden silence and decided that the new position wouldn't be worth the effort. Besides, management has commented that I'm probably the most efficient person they've had in the position I hold right now.

Monday came, and still the scorn continued. But I held my chin up as always and just did what I was supposed to do.
People were even more silent than before, if that's at all possible. And Tuesday wasn't much better.

That night, after collecting my thoughts, I wrote a very professional letter to the CEO respectfully declining his offer and gave key generalities as to my decision.

Today, the CEO was scheduled to come to the plant and was planning on announcing the revamped personnel. He also was given my letter of intent.

Of course, he wanted to meet with me. (cue the gossip lines!).
He said, "I read your letter, which by the way, was one of the more professional letters I've read," (cue self patting of back), "but, at this time, your request is denied".
Say which?
He continued,"After reading your letter, I realized that I've got the right guy for the job".
Really?

Over the next hour,which I'm sure was just driving the masses CRAZY with speculations, he and I chatted about my concerns that there has been no discipline for those who just arbitrarily leave work, using vacation time, when they run out of work in their own department and don't want to go to another, and other management concerns.

In the end, I think we came to a mutual understanding and respect that should allow for going forward in his new vision.

Afterwards, he had a plant meeting in which he announced productivity in the company, his new idea for improving communication, quality, and hopefully promoting growth of the company.
Then came the announcement followed by what I found to be an inspirational speech on how he was NOT going to put up with gossip, innuendos, and the general lackadaisical attitude that had been going on.
He reminded them (I avoid saying "us" because I'm the victim here!) how they are adults and not junior high kids and should conduct themselves accordingly.

That was brilliant, in my view.

So it will be a few more weeks before implementing the big change, and while I'm still nervous as to the "in's and out's" of what my new enhanced job will be, I embrace the challenge it invokes.

Without change, we eventually curl up and die.

Needless to say, I've requested, and probably will be getting a cattle prod.

1 comment:

OzzyC said...

Dude! That's fuckin' COOL! Now you can go buy a Harley. Just don't let the wife know about your raise, or she'll take you back to court for more moola.