Saturday, May 27, 2006

Some days are good.......some bad

This Memorial Day weekend, some friends from High School had invited me for their annual camping/boating weekend.
They chose a local some distance from where we live and have a self-contained "men's camping trip", and this year I'd planned on going.

They'd approached me last year, but as I had my children, combined with the fact that I'm an inexperienced camper, I declined.

As the weekend excursion neared, plans were being formulated and it was sounding like a good time.

Greg and Dave had taken their home built canoes and engineered them into a catamaran setup that proved to be entertaining, at least, to watch them sail.

Sonny and Darin would join them with canoe/kayak in tow and I would bring my kayak.

Camping would be on an "island" set up in North West Wisconsin.

I'd finalized my preporations and had my car packed and ready to go after a quick nap after work. But my decision to go would be influenced.

I found out that a local friend of mine shot and killed himself that morning.

In itself, that news was troubling. But the rumour that accompanied it was even moreso.

I shouldn't go into it, as being just a rumour, it's best not to fuel such a beast.

Needless to say, the circumstances surrounding his past few months closely mirrored my own during the breakdown of my marriage. And news of his end brought back memories of the choices I'd made some six years ago.

There surely will be future trips to go on, and I hope that my friends will understand my choice not to join them.

Rest in peace G.
Rest in peace.

No comments: