Wednesday, May 24, 2006

TWO! TWO! TWO posts in ONE!

Today, a couple things happened that prompted me to make a combined post, as alone, neither one would fill up too much space.

FIRST:
It's official; I am an asshole! (pause for uproarious applause).
Since my taking a coordinating position, some of my co-workers have been less than pleased. But today was my first "direct experience".

I'd walked into the breakroom before first bell to get my daily caffeine boost.
Later, even before first break, a gal that still talks to me told this to me:
"(name withheld) said you were being an asshole."
"Say huh?"
"When you walked in this morning, I commented 'Raymond doesn't look too happy today."
"And?"
"(name withheld) said 'Oh, he's been an asshole lately.'"
"I have?"
"That's what she said. I wanted to ask her if there was a side of you that I had missed this week!".

So, basically, this woman's view of me has been tainted by the fact that I've accepted a position that may or may not even work out. But whatever.
Unfortunately, the position will NOT allow me to write disciplinary warnings. rats.


As for my second subject, my ex-wife's grandfather passed away last night.
She called this morning to let me know (as she'd been keeping me apprised of his health), and to let me know about visitation and the funeral.

The visitation happens to land on a day that I have our boys.
She asked if I would forfeit the time so they could go to the visitation with the rest of the family. Of course, I said yes.
She then offered tonight as time with them. Again, of course, I said yes.

About an hour before my scheduled return time, she called, asking if I'd mind dropping them off at her grandmother's house, as that's where they'd be.
By the end of our short conversation, I got the feeling she was wanting them earlier than I was to bring them back. I 'called her' on it, to find that I was right.
I offered 1/2 hour earlier, as we were just finishing supper, and thus allowing the boys to have some "down time" before heading back.

Now, since our divorce, I've been overly accommodating to her requests, sacrificing my time with the children.
I didn't feel this an arbitrary request, so we left early to take them back to their mother.

Hers is a large family, and it seemed they were all there.
Mind you, I was a part of this family for nearly nine years.

We pulled up, and she popped out, walking the boys over to her car so they could put their personal belongings away.

As I pulled away, I asked her when the visitation was again.
"Thursday" she said, hesitantly.
"What time?" I asked politely.
"Well........." she began,"It's from five until eight. But it'd be appreciated if you didn't show up."
As she said this in front of our children, I simply said "ok" and "see ya tomorrow" to the boys.

What pisses me off is that first off, who the hell requested I not even go to the visitation??
I was part of this family for over eight years, got along famously with the now passed on grandfather, had gone to her cousins wake a few years ago,(in which her aunt and cousins sister BOTH hugged me at once), bent over backwards to make her life easier, and am now being asked not to pay my respects??
wft??

I understand that there remains friction between myself and my ex-wife (mostly caused by her inability to not only grow the hell up, but move on from the past) and her parents, who happen to be a drunk and a control fiend, (oh yes......it's all on now kids), but the rest of her family is more than cordial when we happen upon one another. Some of her family STILL doesn't understand why the hell she left me for some ancient,decrepit ex-cop (oh wait.............retired cop pension) who played with popular band back in the early 70's.
WAKE UP PEOPLE! He played with the group for a month................that's probably 2-3 gigs at most!!

But I digress.............

The fact is that a member of my previous extended family has passed away, and will be missed.
May he rest in peace, and his widow carry on with strength in family.

1 comment:

OzzyC said...

It's unfortunate that you can't pay your respects. Remember, this is her issue, not yours. You couldn't have handled it any better.