Saturday, April 08, 2006

Exes can be SO much fun......

As previously posted, I'm divorced. And I'm sure there are a bunch of you that can relate to the joys of dealing with an ex-spouse especially if one or more of the following are present: there are children involved thus giving actual reason for dealing with said ex, and my personal fave;if the divorce was a messy one.

During what turned out to be the latter part of our relation, it became increasingly impossible to carry on a conversation with the ex due to the fact that what ever came out of my mouth, was wrong in her eyes. Even if I was using logic (which appearantly was against the rules), or making a valid point, I was wrong.
As a result, I developed a "delete" button in the middle of my forehead, (which is easily accessible by slapping oneself with an open palm), which, to this day, I use when I have something that I need to discuss with her.

But the other day, something arouse so disgusting and revolting, that I had to physically prevent my hand from raising about my shoulder.
What could be so dispicible you ask? According to my older son, his mother, my ex, was using what could only be defined by the words "pack your bags, we're GOIN on a guilt trip!".

It seems that her husbands children are coming for a week long visit. They have Spring Break while our two still have school.
On Tuesday, our older son has his weekly scheduled, after school, school sanctioned, reader promoting, activity session, which lasts for an hour. This week is the last one for not only the year, but next year he won't even be eligible (middle school does not offer such a program).

The conflict comes in that while while the other kids are here, Aus (our boy) will miss out on ONE FREAKING HOUR of time with his step-siblings.
Aus really wants to go, as he should. He works hard on his reading and the elementary school set this session up for those excelling in reading. But all his mother sees is that he'll miss out on sixty minutes of what would end up being "video game" time.

But that's not the worst part. What I say next will most likely send a shiver down the spine of any normal, sensible parent, nay, human being.
According to Aus, when he told his mother that he really wanted to go, she said, and I'm quoting an 11 year old here:"If you do go, (her husband) will be upset and think that you don't like his kids". I'll pause for the weak.

Can you believe it?? A grown woman, ok, grown in age only, using emotional blackmail on not only an eleven year old child, but HER eleven year old child!

Now as I've said in the past, she is a very hard woman to talk with.
But how can I NOT talk to her about it? Even though going in I know what the result will be, I still have to confront her on behalf of MY son.
And for those "devils advocates" out there, no, he wouldn't make up a story like that.

2 comments:

OzzyC said...

Do you think that anything will be gained -- either for the kids, or for you -- if you DO talk to her about this? Unless you think that something will be gained, it's not worth the effort.

rayray said...

Probably nothing more than my standing up for my child.
It just gets so damn frustrating listening to the things she pulls and then remembering that the judge decided she gets to (basically)raise them.