Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Getcher geek on.........getcher geek on............

Ok, so, that'd be more impressive if Nelly Furtado was actually singing it. But you get the point.

I thought I'd go away from my normal posts and do something fun:blog about my weekly D&D session.

There are five of us, six if you include our,(Dungeon Master, or God for lack of a better term) DM's 12 year old son that sits in with us now and then. And we have two different bands.
Our main group, which we affectionately refer to as "The Good Group" has a Dwarf Druid (funny, he doesn't LOOK Druish) (my character), a human cleric, Greg (praise Ilmater), an Elvin Ranger, and a Human Rogue. Then there's the sometimes Barbarian Fighter.

Then, there's our other group, or "The Evil Group" which we play when our Cleric friend cannot join us.
This group allows our DM to play a character, a Monk, and our "Good Group" Ranger to fill in as DM.

Otherwise, we have a Half-Orc fighter (me) and our Wizard. We usually get our asses kicked by some form of lower level beastie as we don't have a cleric in our midst to help with the healing process (praise Ilmater).

Tonight, was our "Evil Group" and we were joined our 12 year olds character, a Halfling Thief. Basically, a throwing aid to my Half-Orc, "Hey Monk! GO LONG".

Anyway, tonight was basically a chance for the three of us, sans Halfling, to heal from our last battle,divvy treasure, more healing, upgrade armourment, and oh yea:did I mention heal?

We did, however, have the opportunity to begin a new leg of our adventure where the first creature we encountered, was a shambling mound.

Of course, being the courageous fighter that my character is, Karn decided to rush this foul creature and rend it dead "D-E-D, DEAD!". Well, it went well for a few hits of his double headed axe.
But then it was the mounds turn. And guess what, in what would have been an epic battle between Hero and monster, this bushkilled my character.
Imagine my embarrassment by having been bested by a shrubbery! The horror!
And to add insult to injury, our wizard fired a magic missile into the mound setting it ablaze. NOW I was not only bested by a bush, but now being hovered over by a FLAMING BUSH. (I'll wait for the adolescent audience to stop giggling over the suggestive nature of my last sentence).

Suffice to say, the green fiend was beaten by the others in our group, and Karn was revived to fight another day.

Next week I wouldn't be surprised if I get attacked by a stick.

btw:praise Ilmater

8 comments:

Paulius said...

Question. Are you a hardcore D&D player? Where if your character gets killed you start off from scratch with a new (level one) character?

I'll be completely honest and say I've only played D&D once or twice. Basically, I never had any friends who were interested in it.

That's why I play Oblivion and Morrowind all the time. At least the computer deals with all those pesky dice rolls.

OzzyC said...

...Next week I wouldn't be surprised if I get attacked by a stick....

Mr. Twig?

Sunny said...

I don't think I could play D&D. I have an addictive personality and would be one of those people who would blow off work to continue playing if I was really into it.

There is one game i want to play but i can't remember the name of it. It's shown on G64 all the time.
The one where the big ole Draft horse goes riding over the hills and valleys. Paulius would know the name.
Too bad he's outside grilling supper.

I would have never pegged you as a D&D fan, Ray-ray.

rayray said...

Paulius-Actually, I only started playing this year. My buddy (the DM) has been playing since before it was cool! (It's cool, you say??)
He has damn near every module, every book related (Players Handbook, Monster Manual, ect.) and since they've began being made, every D&D Mini to date!
As far as character fate:our DM's pretty good about allowing a chance for revival.

Ozzy-Not Mr. Twig, you twit! ;)

Sunny-I think it's called "Shadow of Collosis"(sp).
My 11 year old has it (thanks to dear old dad) and there's a HUGE ASS horse the main character get's to ride.
Basic storyline is 'hero wants to revive girl. hero must battle animals that are as big as mountains. hero dies, a lot'.

rayray said...

p.s. Sunny- I know.........I'm scared too!

Paulius said...

(In case you were wondering, she was thinking of World of Warcraft)

rayray said...

Ah yes, WOW.
I have dial-up, so all I can enjoy is the CDROM. Still a great game though.

Anonymous said...

that was a awsome story and i thank you for the laugh. and of course, praise Ilmater!