Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Reconnecting

This weekend, I had the opportunity to do something I've missed doing over the years:go on a car cruise.

Now, a few weeks back, I went on a locally sponsored cruise, and that was ok.
It's the first local one I participated in.
But to really get the feel of what a car cruise SHOULD be, you have to go on the one in Clear Lake, Iowa.


It's held every year about this time and is followed the next day with a car show.
This is the 22nd annual cruise/show and even though it's been through some changes, it's going on strong.

The first one I went on was almost 15 years ago.
It started at a local drive-in (eatery style) and had about 100 cars show up.
But over the years it grew in numbers and had to be moved to the Legendary Surf Ballroom. For those unfamiliar with this venue, it's the last place Buddy Holly (and the Big Bopper as well as Richie Valens) performed at back in the 50's before being killed in a plane crash just outside of Clear Lake.

For the next several years, the Surf played host to the yearly cruise/show until ownership changed hands and the present owner just didn't think it was good business to house such an event.

Now a local national chain hotel has opened it's arms to the ever growing event.
But I'm getting away from my point. (imagine that?!)

I'd taken my little S-10 on a cruise several years ago, while still relatively in it's stock state, only to get bombarded by comments along the route such as "that's not a classic!" and "why is THAT in the cruise??".

Fast forward to present: I finally achieve lowering my truck, have it back on the road after years of being in storage, and decide this is the year 'we' return to the cruise.

This year my little S-Dime was welcomed with open arms, so to speak.
No rude comments.
No leering eyes.
Only positive vibes the entire way.
It's odd what a few years will do to sooth the savage spectator!

All in all, it felt good to get back behind the wheel, get together with a few other car enthusiasts,(truth be known, I heard the total number of participants was close to a thousand!), and revel in the camaraderie one looks forward to each and every time one goes to one of these events.

And as a final note to Sunny,I know of your love of cars and whatnot, and think you and Paulius should check some of these out in your area. If nothing else, just to watch.
And if you're both ever in my neck of the woods, you can check out this one I've talked about. Although, mine's only a two-seater, I'm sure P would be comfortable riding in the bed (even though it's got a hard bed cap. ;)

Spectator-What's that thumping coming from the bed of your truck?

Rayray-Wha? Oh THAT. Well, that's the latest in bass technology.

Spectator-How come there's no music? Just thumping. And, how come I hear some sort of accent?

Rayray-Oh, um, I sent away for it.........got it from the UK.

KIDDING P......Just kidding!

2 comments:

Paulius said...

That's okj, if I'm ever found murdered in the bed of a truck, you'll be the number one suspect.

Sunny said...

LMAO- We have a couple of cruise-ins down here .....one quite close!
Believe it or not it's held at the Anderson McD's and the theme the McDs is done in is classic cars!

Week before last, on the way back from my sisters wedding, we stopped there to grab a drink and a burger and the Cruise-in was going on- About 50 cars were still there altho quite a few had left already. Me and Paulius both were drooling- me more than him tho. Only downside was he kept telling me to watch out and not hit anything- and if I did hit something make sure it was something relatively inexpensive. I just laughed. I was in the middle of restoring my 72 Challenger when I sold it. You could spend many many thousands to get the look those autos had!