Sunday, November 13, 2005

Validation

As I write this, there is less than an hour until the funeral service for my plant manager is to begin. I have elected not to attend.

While I knew him for eight years mainly through work and seldom in public settings, I can't help but wonder if it's a big deal I not attend.

I am at one with the events as they are and will indeed miss him. But do I need to attend his funeral to show this to others?
There was a 'ceremony' at work running the flag outside the plant at half mast with the president of the company saying words and the HR person leading prayer.
Not sharing a belief system of the rest, I did not hold any misgivings and stood along with the others.

The funeral will be held at the Catholic church, which happens to be down the street from my home.
While part of me feels a bit awkward concerning the proximity to my decision, I do not want to succumb to 'peer pressure' only to attend in body only.

I am not a religious person, per se.
At a younger age, I was turned off of religion as it is by the ways it was being presented to me and I've really not given organized religion a second chance.
To me, this is also another validation in not attending.

I will miss him, yes. But in not attending the funeral, does not mean I did not respect him, and the place in which he is now I believe he understands that.

No comments: