Friday, November 25, 2005

Why does everyone keep telling me marry a girl named Christmas??

Normally, I abhor the day after Thanksgiving, ding-ading-ading-ading but today was different.

I'd been wanting to get a smaller computer desk and relocate the whole conglomerate upstairs, freeing up my meager office for other purposes. ding-ading-ading-ading
Yesterday a buddy of mine told me what I was looking for would be on the "day after Thanksgiving six hour sale", for about half it's normal price.
Having been working overtime for about a month, I'd amassed a small amount I could actually make such a purchase. ding-ading-ading-ading

Since I was going to the town the store was in anyway, I figured I'd brave the crazed masses and give it a whirl. ding-ading-ading-ading
As a side note, I normally cannot stand crowds and shopping is my least favorite thing to do. ding-ading-ading-ading So I set out in search of my new acquisition, not really thinking I'd come away unscathed.
ding-ading-ading-ading

I got to the store with about half an hour to go on the 'special sale' and as before I could even open my car door, I heard it:the sound that's worse than nails on the chalk board. ding-ading-ading-ading
That's right: 'tis the season of the Bell Ringers.

Those poor souls that brave the elements (mainly due to the fact that most stores have now banished them from the comfort of their heated entry ways) ringing those little bells, alerting all incoming and outgoing shoppers where they can donate to the Salvation Army. ding-ading-ading-ading
But I'm getting off the subject a tad.

I made my way to where the desks were and lo-and-behold there were a few left! Imagine my surprise to find that with fifteen minutes to go on the special hours sale a few tickets for this item were uncollected! ding-ading-ading-ading I nearly did a jig right there in the aisle. (ok.........so anymore it doesn't take much to excite me).

I took what to me seemed like the Golden Ticket up toward the checkout lines.
By this time, there was something like six minutes and forty-two seconds left before eleven o'clock and all of the checkouts were teeming with row upon row upon row of people all wanting to check out before the 'magic hour'. ding-ading-ading-ading I mean, there were people lined almost all the way to the back of the store, and this is not a small store.

I had to act fast. What to do?
I didn't drive half an hour to get this desk only to be turned away while still in line waiting to purchase is. And yes, I did have another reason I'd come to town but that's for another entry. And that's beside the point!ding-ading-ading-ading

I looked around, hoping to see a hole in a line somewhere. Something created by Little Johnny wanting to find a piece of candy ding-ading-ading-ading that wasn't in his lane while his mother's eyes followed him, not paying attention to what was going on in front of her. No such ding-ading-ading-ading luck.

I did what any other red blooded shopping Guru would have done with having only one item to purchase, ding-ading-ading-ading :
I went right back to electronics where they have their own register, plopped down my ticket, paid cash and strutted right out the front door, making my way back to pick up said purchase. ding-ading-ading-ading
Frickin' bell ringers.

I was in and out of there WITH my new desk within four minutes and thirty-eight seconds.

Yet another HELL YA moment in the History of Men's Shopping

2 comments:

OzzyC said...

Are you interested in buying me a new home theatre system? Mine just shit the bed.

Anonymous said...

Where were you when I was learning how to shop!

I want lessons!

I not only got up at 3:30 to shop I worked 7 PM to 1 AM at a retail store that night!

Glutton for punishment I say! : )